Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Have you ever been excited about a bill?

So anyone who has been reading this blog knows we have been working on our house. Over the winter we installed an instant hot water heater. Not only did we get a great deal on the heater, but the past three months our gas bill has only been $30-$45. I love it!!! I actually get excited when the bill comes in and I have to go and compare it to last years bills. Right now our gas bill is a little over a 1/3 of what it was last year. I love it- LOVE IT!! As you can tell I get very excited about saving money. We have also made other changes as well. I started washing our laundry in cold water- all except whites , an idea I got from my blogging friend Kate. I still use the dryer for everything, but I would like to start hanging some of our things outside. I'll have to work on that! I'm wondering if a big part of our savings has to do with the new gas line they put in last year, but then again I also went 125 days without using the stove and our bill is still a lot less than last year. What ever the reasons I am very happy. Now I would love to compare our electric bill from this year to last but we still haven't finished rewiring the house and I only have 3 lights right now. I would love to put a solar panel up on the roof but they are still to expensive. We have also installed larger windows in our house. The new windows let in soooooo much more light that I find I don't turn on the lights, that we do have until dusk. It wasn't that way with the old tiny drafty windows. I think we had the lights on all the time before, our house was like a dungeon! We just finished replacing our heating ducts and sealing them so there won't be any air loss that way. They where in really bad shape- so many holes. We still have so much to do. Ed is working on sealing every little opening in the house and upgrading our insulation. That should be a big help.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! We need to insulate better..new doors and storm windows..doubtful for this year, but at least the new gutters are on and we had no water in the house with all that rain we just had!!! Yipee!!

    ReplyDelete