Tuesday, June 17, 2008

if walls could talk

I've been with out a computer again for a few days. I snuck down into the basement and hooked up Eds office computer to the Internet. I couldn't take it anymore. I can't believe how much I took the Internet for granted. You know it the little things, like being able to look up the weather.

Saturday we took out the old bathroom. Remember when I said the bathroom really just need to be painted and everything was in decent shape. How wrong I was! The skylight had leaked. Just a little here and there. When we took up the floor we found out most of the floor had rotted away. Not only that, when they installed the toilet almost 50 years ago, they just cut the joist in half and it was just hanging there doing nothing. We ending up having to replace three more floor joist.

The funny thing is, while I was cleaning up the mess I found this index card rolled up really tight sitting in the corner. I almost threw it out. I don't know why I picked it up. It was first dated 1969. Eds older brother Ken put it in the wall when he was 11 helping is father remodel the bathroom. It was also found, signed and replaced again in 92 when we remodeled it again. I don't remember Ken putting it in the wall. The cute thing is he had is daughters sign it also before replacing back . Cait was 5 at the time and Allison was 2.

Sunday we took off the front wall of the house. We framed for the new front door and the windows. Removing the large bay window was not easy. For some reason I found myself standing outside holding up the window by myself while Ed was prying it away from the studs. I don't know what I was thinking other than I am really, really, insane. It didn't go that bad. I broke one of the glass panes. I was very lucky that my hand didn't go all the way through.

Today we put in two of the window. While Ed was cutting the openning for one of the windows a leg on his ladder broke off. He got a little banged up. His ankle is really swollen. Once again we got lucky. It could have been so much worse. I was a wreck. It really scared me. I don't know what I would do without him. I mean who else would I get to do this remodel :)

Oh, it is so nice to have windows that open on the front of the house. It's not so oppressive in the house anymore.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear your injuries were relatively minor! You are such
    hard workers!!

    ReplyDelete