Thursday, June 19, 2008

Woo Hoo

Good news! No work tonight my DH asked me out on a date. It's been so long, I can't even remember the last time we have been alone together. I think it was last summer some time.

More good news. This week I had a meeting with our school districts child study team for Moe. At his three year check up his pediatrician recommended some speech therapy for him. I really didn't think he needed it. So I kind of brushed it off. A few weeks later he had gotten sick and I saw another doctor in same office. She looked at Moe and said the same thing, but she had also said that he may have a slight learning disability. Now I started to have doubts. Two different doctors saying the same thing. I knew he could talk. In fact he started to talk, very well too even before Cole. Then at one point he just started gibbering. It wasn't baby talk. It was like he was just talking too fast. Every once in awhile you could make out a word.

After we had gone back to the doctors a week later (and we saw the first doctor again) he repeated the same thing and gave me a list of evaluating centers to see. Now I was really worried. I called all the numbers he gave me. On the last one I broke down and cried. I didn't know what to do. None of them took insurance and the evaluation alone ran $600-$800. So I think the woman took pity on me and told me to call the school district. After months of phone calls and writing letters I got an appointment with the child study team.

I dropped Cole off at Aunt Kathy's. This was the first time I had gone anywhere with just Michael. She screamed, Moe cried, I had a headache!

The team was very nice. I met with three people then they had me on speaker phone with I think, three more people at another school. I spoke to them for while and then they spoke with Michael, asking him all kinds of questions. He is such a ham he was eating it up. He went around the room pointing to colors. He even said some of them in Spanish. He was pointing out letters, telling them stories. Telling them we had to break Cole out of Kathy's house. He spoke clearly and in full sentences.

Their conclusion- there is absolutely nothing wrong with him or his speech. They said it is possible that it's the twin thing where they create their own language, although Cole has never done it. Their only recommendation was to spend more one on one time with him. Yeah, like Cole is ever going to let that happen.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. A big, much needed, breath of relief for you. Be sure to let those doctors know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Hugs to you. Sometimes they get us all worked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad it worked out so well...time alone..good luck!
    ;-) Sometimes these doctors..oh my!

    ReplyDelete