Thursday, June 12, 2008

Going Topless

First off - Thanks Aunt Nancy for the title.

So much has happened since I blogged last.

So lets start at the beginning. My husband is a carpenter/builder. We have been working on our house at a very slow pace. Very slow and I mean years. This past month and a half we have been working like crazy. Ed has a normal job during the day(which just means he works for someone else) of course they are in their busy season. So he is putting in almost 12 hours a day and then coming home to work on our house. After a month and a half he finally crashed. He came home from work last night and went right to bed. Let me tell you I can't believe the pace he has been able to keep up. I crashed after the first day.



So this brings me to the first day of construction on the main part of our house, our bed room. Let me tell you.... I totally under estimated the amount of mess, stress, tears, pain and just work involved here. And- I've seen the mess my husband can create.

So the first night we went to sleep under the big dipper, right here in this bed. As, the planes flew over head we all snuggled together to keep warm. It was 42 degrees that night. I would give anything to go back to that weather.

Next down the line was the old bathroom. We put that bathroom in almost twenty years ago. God I feel old! Everything still worked great in here, except the skylight leaked. Truthfully it didn't need anything but a new coat of paint. Yet, it's out of here! Why you might ask? Well, it's smack dab front and center of the house. That's where my DH wants to put the front door. When every thing is finished this bathroom will be the entrance way in to the house.
The following day we moved on to the living room/ kitchen. There used to be a wall between them. Now it is a huge open room. See the wall on the right there that's the last of the old bathroom wall . I still have to take that down, then the room will be even bigger. When this area is finished it will be the kitchen / dining room. Really just one huge frickin eat-in kitchen. Say Hi to Uncle Mike! I'll show you later where he fell through the ceiling.
That's Uncle Ray there passing up the i joist to Uncle Mike. It's about time the guys started doing something. I thought Aunt Nancy and I would have to do the whole thing by our selves. See the huge beam down the center. That is actually four beam put together. Aunt Nancy and I put them up the night before. Hey, I'm not kidding we did!
Now this isn't your normal roofing system. Some people have commented on being a little over kill for an attic space, but we are planning to put a second floor in next year. Will it ever end??? Not if your married to a contractor! When I married him, I married this......

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Ok when I first read sleeping under the stars I thought how romantic, but 42 degrees, no thank you.

    ReplyDelete